Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Christmas is wrapping up and I am sitting here reflecting on what a wonderful life I have been blessed to live. My holidays have been filled with such a plenitude of family, friends, food, gifts, and entertainment. I was able to take my sister to The Crest Theatre in SF to watch The Fraggles and Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas (and to meet famed puppeteer Dave Goelz!) on the 22nd and my mom to see The Nutcracker at Paramount Theatre in Oakland on the 23rd - both with tickets I had won in amazing good fortune thanks to SF Weekly and The Institute on Aging.


On the 24th I was able to meet with a long time best friend, H-, who lives on the East Coast and who I miss very, very much. To see her and catch up was very precious to me, and with the money I save this coming year with Willpower and Window Shopping I hope buy a plane ticket to visit her in her new home. Later that evening, as a family we went to see 'Twas The Night at The Davies Symphony Hall in SF, which was a fun performance filled with instrumentals, choral arrangements, and singalongs. Lisa Vroman was a beautiful and gracious hostess and Robert Huw Morgan gave an outstanding performance on the organ. That evening we spent with my extended family, doing our annual White Elephant gift exchange. Sadly, no one thought to bring size XL lacy granny panties again this year. However, we were the recipients of wonderful news: Cousin V- just got engaged! Congratulations!!

Since this blog does have to do with shopping, I'd like to share a photo of the beautiful Vittadini flats I wore on Christmas Eve:


As for gifts, all I had wanted was a pair of new jeans and a nice leather bag, and TBF got me Hudson's, and my parents got me a Coach handbag. And it didn't stop there. More notable gifts include the quilt my mom made and the orchestra seats to see The Lion King TBF got us. I am really, truly, so blessed.

Christmas Day we woke up early and headed to the city to volunteer with The Salvation Army for their Christmas Day Meal Delivery. We were part of the 9 A.M. shift and delivered 33 meals, mainly to home-bound seniors. It was such a simple duty, but my heart swelled when an old woman named S- blew us huge, smacking kisses from her door. This may have been my greatest gift - being able to share my time and energy and blessings with others. As a family we hope to make this a tradition.


So here I sit, thinking over the holiday season, so happy and yet reminiscent in a way twinged with sadness. How different this holiday has been from the last. A chapter in my life is well and truly over, and a new one has begun. I know this one will be quiet, filled with creeping love and gentle humor, the efforts of kindness, generosity, gratitude - for they don't always come naturally, small and large successes, adventures, understanding, maybe even a little enlightenment. As hard as it is to let go of the past, with a future so bright and a mindset so filled with hope and optimism, I look forward to the New Year and all that it will bring.

XOXO
Santa Shawna

P.S. I saw Les Miserables today - IT IS PHENOMENAL. I highly recommend it.


P.P.S. I made one purchase the entire weekend from Urban Outfitters, about $55. I will most likely struggle not to spend exorbitant amounts of money during the after Christmas sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment