Tuesday, January 15, 2013

1/15/13 Shopping Urges

I'm officially halfway through my first month of abstaining from the ubiquitous consumer culture of California. I almost had a meltdown this morning and bought a pair of fabulous woven leather wedges, but I convinced myself that I didn't need them and - anyway, it's way too cold to want to spend money on wedges of all things. I've quickly learned that my coping mechanisms have become avoiding, acknowledging, excusing, and ultimately dismissing. Let me explain:

1. Avoiding - I have changed my habits from frequenting stores and online shopping websites to avoiding them outright. This drastically decreased my desire to purchase items. Out of sight, out of mind.

2. Acknowledging - Every once in a while, though, I am unable to refrain from visiting these tempting shopping sites. When this happens, I consciously acknowledge my consumerist appetites and weaknesses.

3. Excusing - I then look at whatever item I crave and make excuses. It's too big, too small, won't look good on me, wouldn't last long, isn't in season, isn't in the perfect color, I have something like it in my closet already, etc.

4. Dismissing - I dismiss the object, exit the store or website window, give myself a pat on the back, and go along my way.

It's been a little over two weeks and I have used this method quite effectively. I don't know how long it will be enough, though. My hunger for items grows by the day (not to be melodramatic). I think I may need to find a better solution soon.

XOXO
Recovering Shawna

No comments:

Post a Comment