Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Good Deed 8

"Compliment someone over seventy."

It hasn't been the best of days, so it took more effort than usual to do my daily good deed. However, I was amazed to realize just how much better I felt after doing something as little as going out of my way to compliment someone else. While at the post office this afternoon, I spotted an elderly woman wearing very fetching horn-rimmed glasses. I gave her a tentative smile, she gave me one back, and I complimented her. Her wide grin and "Why, thank you!" made my day, along with the email I received from a coworker who thanked me for yesterday's Ghirardelli sweets. S- wrote: "You made me remember a fellow I worked with back [in the day]. Every Monday he left a rose from his garden on each lady's desk. Made Mondays much nicer." What a wonderful memory and compliment.

My good friend, H-, who just completed her #26acts wrote that she has become "totally hooked on the good deeds movement" because as opportunities to perform acts of kindness arose, she discovered more and more "channels of goodness" in operation. "As I got more and more attuned to the sphere of serendipitous do-gooders that exists and is no doubt infinite, I experienced a kick alarmingly similar to that of endorphins."

Dear H-, I couldn't describe it any better myself. The more I reach out to touch the lives of others, the more I volunteer, and the more I help, the more I recognize others doing the same. I have become aware of a worldwide web of kindred spirits who live to do good, and I get a total kick out of it. Endorphins are said to be not only uplifting, but addictive, and I have hopped onto the good deeds movement for good!

XOXO
Uplifted Shawna

No comments:

Post a Comment