Tuesday, January 1, 2013

1/1/13 Fresh Start

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I hope 2013 brings peace, love, clarity, success, happiness, good health, joy, and excitement to us all.

As you can imagine, I woke up very, very early on the morning of the 31st hyperventilating. I was so anxious and stressed about not buying a single material object for an entire year that I literally felt physically ill. My heart was pounding, my hands were sweating, and my mind was racing with thoughts of what I might need to buy before the New Year. It sounds so silly and I feel shallow for admitting it. But really, I think that not buying a single material object for an entire year would be a challenge for anyone.

TBF was very understanding and has been somewhat teasing but very supportive of my NYE challenge - so he took me shopping on the last day of 2012 so I could frontload some of the items I might feel tempted to buy in the near future. Lingerie, a BCBG dress and jumper, jewelry, jeans (a pair of 7 For All Mankind's and a pair of Hudson's), books, DVDs... I think I should be able to hold out until March.

Before you wonder why I just said March and not December, I should explain my strategy for making it through the year. I anticipate being able to hold out until March without buying anything. And that's my birthday month so hopefully I'll get my material item fix from birthday gifts. I then have another 9 months without shopping, but with 2 free passes I'll most likely end up using one in the summer time, maybe June or July, and then another in the winter - probably when I am Christmas shopping for others because that always is a time of weakness. My main goal is to stay away from online shopping, stores in general, and to stay so busy and occupied that I don't even have time to think about money let alone shopping.

Halfway through January 1st and I am happy to announce that I am holding out strong against all of the NYE sales. I am also happy to announce that this is the first day of my Year of Good Deeds. As a way to stay busy and occupied, in order to move from thoughts about consumerism and selfishness to thoughts of generosity and helping others, and in order to keep this blog from turning into a whine-fest, I decided to buy the One Good Deed A Day Journal. I hope to give a short update on the status of my willpower and window shopping, then focus the rest of my day on my Good Deed, which will be in a separate post.

My friend H- who started her blog, is dedicating her first week to #26acts. I am so glad that she wrote about this great act, started by NBC correpsondent Ann Curray. The concept is that the world would be a happier and better place if everyone did kind acts for others, and Curray called for individuals to do #26acts in honor of the Newtown shooting victims. I will be dedicatinig my first 26 acts to those victims, and this great idea.

XOXO
Shopaholic Shawna

P.S. TBF and I went on our Hornblower dinner dance cruise on Saturday. It was such a wonderful time! The food was pretty good, the wine was fabulous, but the best part was being able to dance the night away and watch the twinkling city lights from the Sacramento River.

P.P.S. Yesterday, we celebrated NYE with dinner at Le Charm and then a party at the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien. There were three dance floors (two in heated tents on deck, one below), multiple open bars, two DJs, and a beautiful view of the city, the bay, and the fireworks. It was such a memorable way to ring in the New Year! I wore a Rubber Ducky sequin dress, with Pour La Victoire purple suede pumps and a Noir Jewelry double knuckle cocktail ring. Love! Oh, also, TBF and I were interviewed while we were buying our NYE apparel - here is the news clip!

No comments:

Post a Comment